Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Obsidian by Laurann Dohner; A Review

 
Obsidian



While each New Species book is a standalone, the greatest enjoyment will come from reading them in series order.
Book 8 in the New Species series.

Dr. Allison Baker is obsessed with saving the comatose New Species male. She has tried everything and there’s only one option left. Alli will break every rule and put her life in danger by tempting 880 to wake, using only her feminine scent and touch. She just has to kidnap him and crawl into bed with him to make it work.

880 wakes in a different world with a small female who’s been sleeping beside him, caressing him and wrapping her sweet body around his, teasing his senses. He lies silent and still, listening and evaluating each arousing touch, fighting his body’s reaction. Hatred flares when he discovers she’s human, but Mercile stole everything from him so he decides it’s fair to take her in return.

But things quickly change and he wants her at his side and in his bed. 880 has chosen a new name—Obsidian—the personification of dark and dangerous. He’ll fight them all to keep Alli. No one will stand in his way.

This series...it's book crack! I just have this unnatural obsession with the New Species Males. I would suggest reading these in order, although I did start with book 3 and back track, then got back in order...but in each book you WILL run into characters from the other books, and while you don't HAVE to know the back stories, I promise you, you will be curious, and dying to KNOW!

Dr. Allison Baker has become obsessed with New Species patient 880...and the fact that he won't wake up from his coma because of his depression over the loss of his mate is killing her. She can't let him will himself to death over such a thing. So going on instinct, she makes a wild suggestion...and gets shot down by the New Species leadership. Yet Alli sees it as the only way to save 880...and she'd rather risk her medical lisence than see him die. Seeing it as her only option at THAT second in time, Alli kidnaps 880 and tries her theory out on him...successfully. Only, it's a very short time before they're discovered & brought back to the NSO compound, and Alli is a whole lot of trouble...but 880 has already begun to bond with her, and refuses to let her be taken from him...

Seeing 880 acting wild & out of control, Alli convinces the NSO leadership to let her calm 880 down again...which leads to more than she'd ever been prepared for. Alli has quickly lost interest in 880 as a patient, as sees him as nothing but a man...a man she's falling in love with. But he's still mourning the loss of his mate...isn't he?

Without totally giving the story up, I'm going to say at first I thought ugh, I'm not going to LIKE this...not the writing, but how could Ms. Dohner make this work? She DID, and well! It was a slow & steady build up for Alli & Obsidian (who chose this name to replace the clinical 880), which made it believable and easier to see how Alli could actually fall for the MAN 880 becomes. He's at first so wild and headstrong I thought shallow girl, you don't even know him! but she gets to know him, and he gets to know her...and while the time span wouldn't have worked in the other New Species books, I think for this book, it's what MADE it work.

The sex is STEAMY (oh, and Obsidian has only done it ONE way before Alli! ) and and HAWT! He's never been kissed, and loved the first kiss scene!

So yeah, Obsidian was another WIN with me, Ms Dohner! I'm anxious for a female New Species to get her story...and for one of the Primates to get a story, hopefully Destiny??

5 comments:

  1. I have the first 4 books in this series. I really need to get them worked into my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, your review has me starting this series now hehe
    I've had the books, just not the time to read... I can't wait anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!! You DO, Vanessa!
    And Ali...OMG, you have to let me know how you like...I know you're going to like them. I can't STOP w/ these book! I had to read them ALL in a row until there were no more, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so behind on this series - but I do have all of the books except this one - which I'll get soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw on her blog that Beauty is next!

    I liked this one except for the 3 month separation - I understood why but thought it slowed pace of story down (even more) and could have used a bit more angst in recap.

    ReplyDelete