Sunday, April 17, 2011

Listening to Audio books ~~

So one of the greatest things about my Kindle is the fact that I can listen to audio books on it ~ do you do that?  When I bought my Kindle 2 a few years ago, I got a deal if I signed up for Audible ~ little did I know that a few years later I'd have almost 80 books  in audio, and be totally hooked!! 

I have a long commute to work ~ 67 miles each way ~ so it's perfect to catch up reading I'm behind on, and I discovered for 1st person books that I have a hard time getting into when reading.  I adored Karen Marie Moning's Highlander books, and was so upset when she went to the fever books because they were in the 1st person ~ but when I listened to them Audio, I found myself unable to stop, and zoomed through all 5 books ~ even paying primo dollar for a few of them.  But it was so worth it!  The narration made her writing come alive, and I fell in love with Mac and Barons.............and another series I adore in audio is JD Robb's In Death series ~ I had fallen behind by a few books, so thought, I'll catch up this way.  LOL, I got so hooked on Susan Ericksen's narration that I wound up getting every In Death there is, and now I'm working my way through the Nora Roberts stories she's narrated........and I have every one of these books in print, also, that's how good they are. 

I never thought I'd be a person to enjoy audio books ~ as I  love when I read to immerse myself into the story, and 'live' it in my head ~ but I've actually found if the narration is good, I can do the same thing with a good audio book.  I will sometimes sit in my drive after I'm home still listening if I'm at a good point, lol! 

So http://www.audible.com/  has become a secret obsession of mine ~ do you have one? 

2 comments:

  1. It is so nice to hear from another "audiophile." I adore audio books and have listened to every KMM and JD Robb book I can find. I have also listened to some books that I never would have read, like The Odyssey by Homer and even Pride and Prejudice, which I tried to read and had a difficult time with the old English. After listening to P&P I wound up reading all of Jane Austen's books in print. The narrator of the Harry Potter series, Jim Dale, is fabulous! Talk about making the characters come to life.

    I recently found out that my library has audiobooks available to check out. This has been a real benefit as I have been out of work for over a year and can't really afford to buy them anymore.

    Thanks for the post!

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's one of the things I love best about Audio books ~ books I normally would not pick up and read, like 1st person or straight fiction are awesome in Audio! I'm so hooked, lol, and have started branching out ~ Have you ever listened to Celia Rivenbark? Oh, her books are a riot!

    ReplyDelete